“I know they’re the expert, but I want them to just work on building me backlinks and not touching my site until they prove that they can build links. The last guy wanted to do both, but I just wanted him to build links.”
I wish I had a dollar for every time I’ve head this. This recent conversation with a business owner who was looking to hire a marketing provider through Credo had just come out of an engagement that was not successful, but they were not willing to change their approach in order to find another provider who could actually deliver the results.
Would this be you? Have you had a bad experience working with a digital marketing agency in the past, and now that you’re free you’re scared to hire again?
We’ve seen this all too many times at Credo – someone comes to us because they were trying to grow their business (through SEO/content/ads) and so they hired an agency or consultant that ultimately was not able to deliver.
When that happens, I see one of two things happen:
- They’re scared to hire again and want to start off with too small of a budget (when they can afford more) to “see ROI before I invest anything”; or
- They understand that the previous engagement had reasons why it didn’t work out (usually a combination of factors involving budget, communication, strategy) and they take a step back to think about it more deeply so that they can move forward with a new engagement that will get their business the needed results.
If you’re in this position, then I encourage you to listen to this 10 minute podcast episode I recorded (either below or on iTunes) all about how to approach hiring if you’re in this position.
- Why engagements often don’t work out between businesses and marketing providers;
- The questions you should be asking before you sign a contract;
- Why I don’t believe starting with a small budget is the way to go.
Have a listen, and leave your additional questions in the comments!